Increase academic and social success in your children by hosting Parent Effectiveness Training (PET) in your school. Support the work of your pastoral team and help them to improve the emotional health and wellbeing of your whole school population.
PET helps Parents to be confident and resourceful
- Parents will be equipped with the principles and knowledge that underpin the PET approach. This will cause stress levels to decrease and home life will become calmer and happier.
- Parents will know how to use the full set of comunication and conflict-resolution skills. They will be able to respond to problems rather than react to them.
- Parents will feel more confident and in control. Better communication will also benefit their home and work relationships.
- Parents wellbeing will increase, which will have direct benefits for their children.
Who can attend
It is open to any working parent/carer with verbal children aged up to 18. This includes children with special needs. If you would like to extend the invitation to partners and/or clients, that would work too.
PET skills in parents, directly benefit their children
- Active Listening supports a child at times of stress, friendship issues, mood swings and managing change. It encourages the child to find their own solution and develops them to become an independent problem solver. Students will be more settled and better focused in class and exams. This will improve behaviour and attainment.
- Parents/carers will learn how to talk to their child using I-messages. This will enable a closer and mutually respectful relationship between them both. Parents will model this communication skill and children will learn how to build better relationships with their peers. The child will feel more confident about trying new things, more self-assured and able to contribute to the school community. This will increase their self-esteem.
- Parents/carers will learn how to support problem solving in all areas of their child’s school/social life. This will include dealing with conflict, rule setting and self-direction. Students will come to school prepared and ready to learn. Creative problem solving skills will teach the child to find their voice (and their potential). This will encourage participation and they will feel braver about contributing towards team activities.
- Colliding values are inevitable between parent and child. We will teach parents/carers how to be ‘hired as consultant’ to their children, using influence rather than imposing their will on the child. Students will be more self assured and less likely to engage in risky behaviours, bullying, and truancy.
There is no such thing as a perfect parent. Our work with your parents will be judgment free and we respect the values that they bring to their parenting. Past parent/carers have said that PET is life-changing, but there is no magic to it. It’s like learning how to ride a bike, it takes time and practice. We work with parents of verbal children, of all ages.
Full Course – Parenting Effectiveness Training
PET consists of a 24 hour course, split into a series of sessions covering Thomas Gordon’s Behaviour Window ™ and the full set of communication and conflict-resolution skills.
Cost: £2000. This includes two trainers, for a maximum of 20 people.
Introductory Session, as an option
We can offer a 3 hour introductory session so parents/carers can check whether the approach is right for them before commiting to the full 24 hr course.
Cost: £150. This includes one trainer, for a maximum of 30 people .If your minimum number of parents/carers decide to proceed with the full course, the cost of this introductory session is subtracted.
This course is accredited by Gordon Training International and carries a Certificate.